Wednesday, July 27, 2005


Straight and narrow-

I made this quilt for the straight and narrow challenge. It's been months since the challenge was officially over and the images sent to the coordinator of the challenge have never shown up to be displayed in the online gallery. I did ask about the status of the show and, other than Judy saying the photos never arrived to be posted in the gallery, I've not heard a word.
This isn't the only show I've been waiting to hear about. I entered the "riddle" quilt competition and got in, paid all the fees associated with it (including fees to have the quilt appraised) and, as far as I know, the quilts have never gone to any show yet. Nor did I receive a reply from the coordinator when I asked what the status was.
I've had a quilt in the Roots of Racism show since 2000. The last I heard was the state department called and said it was back in the US and would be shipped "soon". That's been a couple months now. Again, I don't know if I should be worried or not.
Coordinators of the challenges from QA do it from the goodness of their hearts. They just step up and volunteer to organize the challenge. Often times, a "real" show comes from the online show. It's hard to hold them to their responsibilities since they are volunteering in the first place. There are some, however, who think they can make money from creating a challenge. They do have some out of pocket expenses when they choose to go this route. They often fund professional slides of each quilt, the shipping to and from shows, and do tons of legwork to get venues. The problem is, so many free exhibits are around, why should the venues pay for one? Some people learn from their costly mistakes and go back to self promoting. Some learn to pass on the cost to the artists, but when they do that, they need to show they are making the effort to promote the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home