Monday, July 25, 2005

PHI-
I just bought a new camera last night. I wasn't sure I liked it, the photos we took inside were a bit questionable. Were they as good as the ones from my DH's older camera? But then I took this one. It's showing off the lovely PHI pattern I equate with Intelligent design.
Judy Smith is doing a quilt lecture on the subject (I believe) this Fall in Cleveland, OH. She shared with me her handout for her lecture. If you get a chance to see her quilts, do so. She has an innovative approach to the basic quilting patterns we know and love. It's a vastly different approach to the same subject than I took. I LOVE subjects like that, don't you?
I just love to see how science and art fit together. I love the idea of quanta, light being a wave or a particle... Or both, and then PHI, which applies from the small to the tremendous in our universe.
I love to ponder the imponderables. Why can you trace the seed pattern of a sunflower and the spiral of a galaxy and the swirl of a hurricane and see the same pattern? Why can you pick up a piece of gravel and see a miniature mountain there? Why is the sky blue?
(For those of you on the QA list, you'll recognize the last question as a recent challenge.)
Along the same lines, I enjoy a good discussion about politics and religion too as long as it doesn't get too heated and everyone is allowed to have their opinion. I'm not interested in anyone telling me I don't have the correct point of view and then threaten me with "hellfire and damnation". I don't know of anyone who has the absolute KNOWEDGE that they are right. Only someone who has died knows for certain and then it's a bit late to be sharing it with us all.
I am, however, in favor of believing they are right and living a life expecting to end up someplace good.
I am absolutely against religion and politics mixing, at least, in the US. Other countries can do what they wish. The US was founded on that principle, however, and I'm in favor of it. Obviously, that puts me a bit out of sync with the current administration in Washington.
Politics are probably one of the toughest places to discuss without getting heated. Perhaps because we feel it's a government that is supposed to be working for "us" but never seems to.
I am usually the most cautious about discussing politics than any other subject with those I am geographically near.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home