Tuesday, July 12, 2005


Angela-
I met Angela because she read about me and the art lessons I gave at our Church's PSR classes. She called me up, out of the blue, and told me we had to meet. She said, "I promise you will receive a blessing if you come". Well, who am I to ignore a statement like that? So I took one of my girls, and we went.
Angela was about 4 ft tall with huge brown eyes, peeking out over a largish nose. She was dressed like one of santa's elves, or her idea of one. She was 87 ? and a dynamo. Her husband calmly sat while she flitted here and there, showing us everything and talking a mile a minuite. He was much taller and she whispered he had Alhizmer's.
Thier home was decorated for Christmas that day in january. She keeps them up until Ephiany she said. How to describe her home? She had lovely paintings on the walls. All things she did herself. Portraits and landscapes, oils and watercolors. She told us the story of each one. Draped over the frames were garlands of tinsel and balls or roses and strings of beads tucked in here and there. She had several dolls and bears dressed for the season on display. On her coffee table, she had over 100 baskets made from wallpaperand each one held a butterfly and a rose.
These roses were ones she made. Some from interfacing and some from babywipes she washed and ironed. They were dyed using concentrated food coloring and several had a dusting of glitter.
She showered us with gifts. She kept giving us things. Butterflies, stuffed bears, wreaths decorated with roses and beads and several of the baskets.
Angela was still doing calligraphy and was doing it beautifully. She gave us several examples of her work. ALL of her work was scripture inspired. She was very devoted. I would say that this was her greatest gift, but when I left 4 hours later, I knew that just meeting her was the greatest gift she gave me.
I visited with her once more, again for 4 hours and she took the time to show me how she made the roses. (Not that I could do it) Then, she called and told me she was having some dental work done and she'd be "in and out". Then, My mother passed away, and the months drifted by with other obligations.
Recently, I heard Angela wasn't feeling well, so her daughter took her to the DR. She was very far gone with Cancer, inoperable. The daughter put Angela's husband in some extended care facility and sold their home. I have no way of knowing where Angela is, having never met the daughter, nor where her husband is, nor how either of them are doing.
I am mourning the loss and helpless to do anything about it. I just must treasure what she did give me in the way of her spirit and enthusiasm. What a very neat lady she was!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home