Friday, July 08, 2005

A New Direction-

My son attended summer school this year. I'm not exactly pleased with the program they had. They told US he didn't really need to attend, but WE felt he could have /should have done better in the school year. In addition to that, they had a "fun" class. The kids had two choices: PE games or Stained Glass ( but they charged extra for the stained glass class. ) For us, it was worth it, but for others, what a vicious circle of poverty that keeps the kids from having much educational fun. In the end, we got a "report card" telling us he passed onto the next grade. WE ALREADY KNEW THAT! He wasn't there because he had to be. I am just amazed at how they do not keep up with even the few kids in Summer school and get it right, let alone the entire school population.
But, our son, did enjoy the stained glass class and he got to learn how to solder which was why he wanted to do it in the first place. Now, he is enjoying teaching ME how to do stained glass.
Our neighbors, The Powells, do stained glass for a living. They are very generous people and have offered me scrap glass several times over the years. I just never had a good purpose for it before. Now I do! I am using their scraps to learn how to foil and solder. I do not have a glass cutter so I haven't tried actually cutting glass to the shape I want. Right now, I'm just using the shapes they have given me and I'm having fun! I'm making WACKY STARS! I can hardly wait to get more supplies and try glass cutting and actually making something from the very beginning. Tyler's Art teacher offers an adult class in the evenings and I may be able to take that this next Fall. Maybe Tyler and I can take it together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home