Saturday, July 23, 2005

Heat Wave
It is really hot here in southwestern Missouri. It's hovering around the 100 degree mark, a bit over or under, depending if your checking in the shade or sun. Our neighbor's air conditioning has gone out and he's not well and elderly. We told him to call some one (reminded him of a good old guy around here) and offered to have him spend time at our house (he refused) so, in the end, took over all our fans and keep sending our daughter (#2) over to convince him to take her places that are cooler (swimming at the lake) during the hottest part of the day.
Have you ever known someone who will do just about anything FOR you, but won't let you do a thing for THEM? Our neighbor is just that exactly. We love him very much.
I love my neighborhood. I've said it before, but I just love how friendly everyone is and how, if we do need each other, we are there for each other.
I'm wanting to talk to my stained glass neighbors again. I have been foiling glass scraps, setting up to work with soldering again, but it's been too hot to sit outside lately. I tried cutting glass for the first time today. I practiced on some of their scraps. Out of 4 attempts, I only messed up one. I think that's pretty good. I'm still thinking I need more practice cutting before I try a full sheet of new glass though.
Looking through the online shops, was like seeing fabric for me. The possibilities for the special swirled colors, transparent or not, patterned, etc... it was like opening a whole new world of possibilities for me. Just what I need- another hobby!
But, I see I am approaching this in the same way I do quilting.
1. I am not following any of the glass rules (I don't know what they are)
2. I want to be successful right away. I'm not giving myself much slack of a learning curve.
3. I'm not following any patterns.
4. If I find I do need to know something, I go to the internet (my son or neighbors) for
instruction.
5. I'm starting with what I THINK is the easiest way to approach it and will work my way up to the hard stuff later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home