Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Memory seeds-January 2011
Finished my entry for the Spring IQA show which will be in Ohio this year. I'm fairly pleased with the results. I wanted to show a progress of time with a single subject. The idea that a year's worth of enjoyment begins with planting the seeds in the spring. Also, simple pleasures, like posing with the tall flowers is a time honored celebration. I used a photo of my Mother and her Brother taken in the early 20's, to show that aspect.
I wanted to show a more painterly approach, what I call nebulous or atmospheric areas to blend one area into another. I think this was greatly enhanced by doing rust dying on the fabric after one layer of painting. The quilting carries that concept a bit more than it shows in this shot. the quilt is 42 x 56 inches. In some places, the quilting is done like thread painting.
I may see a bit of composition issues, so we'll see how it goes. I hope to mail the application off soon, so I can hit the deadline, but the snow is creating a bit of a problem- I can't get to the PO today.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Wow, this is very painterly. I'm impressed with how quickly you got it done and the brave rust dyeing after painting the figures. I like how it softened the figures and unified the piece. Kudos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home