Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bill Medley- half of the Righteous Brothers
Paul Revere (of the raider's fame)
So, we got in our way back machine and visited this concert last night at the Andy Williams Moonriver theatre. One of Steve's employees works at the theatre too so we got 2nd row seats, on the left. For the most part, this would appeal to somone older than us, but, as I've always maintained, you will be entertained in Branson, regardless of the jokes about it.
Paul Revere is a nut and I guess he always was one. I remember the lead singer being the "cute one" and he performs as part of a teen idol tour now. The singer who replaced him here was, of course, much younger and competant and, heck! Anyone who will wear those dumb tights and thigh boots at their age should get a lot of slack. It struck me as amazing how that band ever put out such a serious song as "Indian Reservation". It didn't seem to fit with the rest of their stuff.
The second half of the show was Bill Medley. The goofy "old" jokes disappeared and the music began. Here's a singer that has spent many years making great music and hasn't decided to stop now. Even though it is fairly mandatory he sing his hits, I got the real impression he hasn't decided to rest on his past accomplishments.
Performers can have charisma and a presence that seems to cross the barrier of the stage to the audience and I think Bill has that. My measurements are non-scientific, but it's just my oppinion. I recall reading about the Cuban musicians and how, even though they are past the "hot young stud" phase of their carreer, they are still able to put out music that is in demand. That the music is taken seriously and, I can think of only a few people in our culture that are afforded that generosity. (Johnny Cash for example) I felt last night as I listened to Bill Medley, that he still has a lot to contribute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home