Friday, October 16, 2009

Eye of the Quilter-
It seemed that this might have been a "last minute" idea for the International Quilt Show, held in Houston every Fall. The idea was to "see" how quilters might view the world- but through Photographs, not fabric and thread. The entry proccess was pretty painless, just email up to 3 photos and decribe how you mainpulated them (if you did) or why it represented how you saw the world. The email proccess bogged down as the deadline neared and there was confusion about who got in and who didn't.
I was afraid I didn't get in, but it turned out the photo above was included. I received a nice note and 2 free passes to the quilt show. Luckily, I was able to pass those on to my sister who lives in Texas and would have a better chance of using them. ( or knowing someone who would)
For those of us not in attendence, we sat at home wondering what the exhibit would look like, how all the photos looked together and what the overall feel of the exhibit would be. For those who didn't get in, I'm sure they were anxious to see why. Although I sent 3 photos, I was only really proud of this one. For me, it was good to have that confirmed. (Dr. Silhan would be proud!)
Eventually, photos were posted on the web of the entire exhibit, just so we could get a general feel for it and, it never feels quite real until you can see evidence that it's really there. (silly, I know) You can see them here: http://www.quiltart.com/eob/
Personally, it was my one redeeming art moment for the year. Family issues got in the way of every quilt deadline this year. I decided to take it with a shrug, these things happen, and just regroup for next year. What worries me the most is momentum. If I list my accomplishments (resume') this year is a glaring hole. It might look like I wasn't accepted not that I couldn't enter.
How do people deal with these sorts of things?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home