Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Texas sewing retreat-
I was invited by my sister to attend a sewing retreat at the Compass center in Mount Calm, Tx.
The owner thought of everything someone who creates would want for a location. The work room was set up with plenty of room for each station and iron and cutting stations around the room. There were flannel covered design walls all around. Each bedroom was set up for 3 or 4 people. There were two bathrooms on each of the two hallways. We even were able to get Massages from professionals if we wished. They cooked lunch and dinner every day and breakfast was on your own, but with many choices (including waffles) and was very casual. We could work or visit, as late as we wanted. Some went to bed early and got up early, some others stayed up late and didn't make an appearence until right before lunch. ( I was sort of in the middle) I found the others entertaining and distracting. I probably didn't get as much accomplished because I was enjoying talking to them so much. I did finish binding a quilt, did quite a bit of free motion quilting on another piece and made a good beginning on the blocks to commemorate the summer of the bat.
The center has a small store there as well and the selections were wonderful and the prices very reasonable. She had beautiful thread stands there. I'm not sure what they are really called, but they allow us to use the larger cones of thread that won't fit on the holders of our machines. Anyway, All i've ever seen were very utalitarian versions of them which are functionable but not very attractive and really a bit wobbly. This one is heavier, and works with STYLE! It became my early Christmas gift from my sister.
I had a good time there and can see why people enjoy going to retreats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home