Sunday, June 14, 2009

Why I Blog-
There was a discussion this week about why people blog and what people want to see when they visit a blog. The overwhelming response (as to what they want to see) are techniques and "how to's". Many people complained they didn't want to see anything about the kids, the dog or the garden. Just give me the content I'm looking for. There was some backlash to all that. Artists saying that all of their life inspires their art and to know them is to understand them and, thus, their art.
So, right from the beginning, this blog wasn't trying to sell anything, including my art. It's more of an interactive diary. It's easier to post pictures here than on a website. Easier to get responses from people. Sometimes it's showing day to day life and sometimes I rant here about something. Sometimes I show my art here too.
I don't post how to do anything here, I am not giving away free art just to get followers, and I don't care if people know how I make my art or not. I get tired of techniques being the most important part of quilting and I am not fostering it. You can't teach HOW TO create a meaningful piece of art. People can barely have a discussion about it without it growing bitter.
All the creative coaches talk about how to market your art and blogs play a big part of that. They suggest the give aways to increase traffic, and using facebook and twitter to increase your exposure. I feel like they are encouraging everything to be an advertising everywhere you go.
Here, you will find the musings, the milestones and the recording of a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home