Saturday, September 10, 2005

Day after the fall-
Here's a picture of our sweet Delaney, the day after her Bike wreck. It was a traumatic experience for us all. It happened about 6:00 pm on Friday and I discovered it when I got a call from her friend, Krystal's mom. When I arrived, Their grandpa was doing his best to clean her up and stop the bleeding. Poor Krystal looked so scared. I thanked them, gave her a quick hug and rushed D home. Called my DH who was on his way home. Put D. In the shower real quick to get most of the blood off her. By the time we got her redressed, Dad was home and we took off for the ER. Her face hurt so much, she barely spoke about her arm hurting until we were in the room for a half hour.
Xrays showed her nose was fine but her arm was broken. (I would have thought the opposite)
She had to have 6 stitches on the outside of her bottom lip, but she has others inside they say will heal faster without. She was so scared about getting stitches. After they deadened her lip, they cleaned out the wounds as best they could and the DR. Pulled out a piece of wood about a half inch long. The stitches went fine.
She was so good and curious still through it all. We always try to tell the truth to our kids and if she wanted to see the needle the Dr. Used to sew her up, we made sure she did. As we were leaving, she told the nurse, "sorry that there was so much blood". And then, "Thank you for helping me." Always the one who thinks of others.
She insisted I drive her to see Krystal today so she could know she was alright and again, she (and I) thanked everyone there again. Krystal gave her a card she made and a green animal of some sort. So, we have a great kid here and she has great friends. I saw the scene of the accident so I could make better sense of what happened.
The street she was riding on had a steep hill ending at a road and a house sitting across the intersection. She failed to make the turn, drove straight, across the small yard and smashed into the house with great force. The people are gone for the weekend so I did my best to fix the damage there. I tried to replace the block, the planter and the ceramic decorations. There's nothing I could do about the smear of blood on their house or the wood chip out of it, but I hope they understand.
She is concerned about missing school. I'm sure anxious to show her friends her misfortune as well as concerned about doing her school work. I'm not worried about her keeping up. She's an A student. I just don't want to have to tell her yet that, until she gets a cast on and can eat/drink something, she can't go. I'm hoping she can do a bit better on the intake of fluids tomorrow and Monday, we can get an appointment to get the cast on.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home