Friday, September 02, 2005

A Quilt for Katrina Victims

Today, we didn't have school because of the Labor Day holiday. We had two friends over to spend the day with us. While they were here, we worked on a quilt for a child who has lost everything. You can see by their faces that they are very proud of helping others.
I know that everyone will need money. I know that the Red Cross needs money. I don't have a lot of that. Sadly, I'm not famous enough to get on TV and ask people to send money just because I ask either. My talents lie elsewhere.
These kids need to know that people are hurting. They need to know that something they can do can to change that. Their school is collecting money and that's fine, but you know the money comes from the parents. These kids aren't out there working! Money is almost meaningless for them. They need to know that what they did today was important and that it is part of something that will touch another life.
When a crisis happens, it is an educational moment for the children that we ignore at our civilization's peril. This is how a child learns empathy. This is when they learn what they do, large or small CAN make a difference. I'm not saying a quilt can change the world, but the idea behind the quilt can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home