Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday Musings-
Today, I took the kids to church. M and T were servers. They yawned, but at least T did bow at appropriate times. Of course, I wasn't looking too carefully because we sat next to D and her family of 4 kids, the youngest being less than a month old, then a 2 yr old, a 6 yr old and a 11 yr old, DD#1 good friend. The 2 yr old is a wild child. He's not verbal yet, due to severe infections, a trach for a year, and so on, he's just now able to begin to learn to speak. He can, however, make noises and does so during services. I got to hold the new baby during most of the service, which was great fun for me and, I hope, gave D. A break and the ability to cuddle the other ones a bit. I feel like her life has so much chaos in it, I'd be nuts by now if it were me.
When we got home, it was time to organize the kids for their chores. I have a chore chart (wheel) that we follow. They have certain chores they are responsible for each week. The wheel changes on Sunday. I am working hard at letting them do the work, so they learn how to do these things. I do not want to have an 18 year old that doesn't know how to do dishes or laundry or clean. It's not coming along easily. My 14 yr old is the hardest one to get going., but I'm determined.
I worked a bit on the postcards to donate for cancer at the Houston International Quilt Festival.
I have about 4 done. Since these aren't going to be mailed individually, I'm not concerned about making them mail worthy. Lately, there's been some discussion about restrictions of the PO about these sorts of things. I don't really foresee anyone trying to mail these. I believe people are going to buy them because they are supporting a worthy cause and because they are small works of art.
Working small is difficult for me. Not that I like working huge, but the size that is comfortable to me is in the 2-4 Ft range. Working in the 4x6 inch size is hard. I want to make them interesting and special, but not too overdone, nor too plain. A fine balance that I can't seem to be satisfied with. I tried doing the journal quilts (8x11) and ended up thinking mine were just too boring to send. I tried working in the 2x3 trading card size, and , again, too boring.
I'm not sure if they really are or not. I just don't feel good about working in the smaller sizes and I end up being too critical. I'll scan some of these soon and see what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home