Thursday, September 08, 2005

Working-

Yesterday I subbed for the first time this year. I had a good time working with the special needs kids.. Well, not quite sure what you call this class actually. They are kids who have learning issues that aren't too bad. This is actually the hardest class for me to teach. It's agonizing to see how slowly they work and still make mistakes and it's hard for me to not just jump in there and do it.
In contrast, I subbed Upper grades in HS English today. It feels almost like a vacation working at the HS. The kids either do the work or don't but are mostly quiet about it either way. Most of these kids are juggling a lot in their life. School, extra curriculum activities, jobs, family/church stuff. They are always on the go. I saw a lot of kids working to get the assignments done in class, even other assignments, because they really don't have time for Homework.
I got to discuss and begin reading 'the crucible" today, watch part of Hamlet (Mel Gibson's version) , oversee the school paper, and read two shortstories about personal narratives. Not a bad way to pass the day, I gotta say.
We've begun to get the first katrina victims trickling into our schools, but through family connections, not shelters. The girl today should have gone to another school, but they were so small, they had nothing to offer her. She's not at all happy about missing her senior year with all her friends at her home school. But, I overheard her say she'd do this and go back for college, so she has a plan. Her accent was adorable.I wonder if she thinks we have one?
Garrison kellior always said Missouri is a "border state". Why? Because it's too far north to be southern, but too far south to me northern. It's West of the Miss. But it's not far enough west. It's on the border of all these regions. I always tell people I live where the Weather Man stands when they talk about the East coast waving one hand, and the west coast waving the other. If they have time, they'll throw an arm in the air and talk about Chicago, but by then, time is up and I never get to see my weather.
Anyway, an easy day at work, but not what I planned to do with my day.
Then, when my kids came home, DD#1 started sharing with me her frustration with her Principal's policies. I believe she calls her the" Evil Principal". Somewhere along the line she went postal about it all, crying and screaming, etc. Well, Hormones are new to her and it's time for them to be raging, but I can't stand seeing my DD#1 like this.
There are things I do not like about what's going on at her school. The reason for it, some I'm guessing at, some I think need to be explained.
Last year, I had issues, but they were all mixed up. Some needed to be addressed by the Principal, some by the gifted teacher, some by my daughter. All three fell down on their jobs at some point last year. I do not want to see a repeat of that this year.
I'm already seeing some conflict in the pictures that were drawn for us at open house. I'll see what I think tomorrow when I work there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home