Saturday, February 04, 2006


Eagle Watch-
Today our 4-H group had scheduled to go on an eagle watch. All week, the temperatures have been so warm, we could easily go without coats. Of course, that all changed last night and we were out looking for eagles with a temperature of 32 degrees and a wicked cold wind blowing.
We've been having a drought here and the lake levels are very low. Our expert said he had never seen it this low and he was seeing things showing up that he didn't know was there. Mostly things like tree stumps.
Anyway, we had little luck seeing eagles at our first stop.. Or our second. We did eventually see some after quite a long hike along the lake where we managed to spot one in a tree and then watched it fly over the mountain and be joined by a couple others soaring on the wind. I managed to take photos, but the eagles look like specks. We saw some heron nests that were interesting. They are fairly large nests in sycamore trees and they nest in groups. We saw a few of them flying around too.
Mostly, the kids enjoyed exploring a bit of everything we came across. They enjoyed rocking this dock, and the mud, the icy mud puddles, sticks, clam shells, old lottery tickets, etc.
I was on the look out for interesting rock formations, but didn't find any close enough to take a photo of.
Although we do have a few eagles here year round, we get more in the winter months that come to escape the bitter cold winters farther north. Of course, I have seen eagle nests in Florida when I was young and then later on sanabel island at the nature preserve there.
So, the walk back to the car was with the cold wind in our faces and my nose was streaming and my eyes watering. By the time I got home, my eyes just ached.
My younger daughter lost her first Basketball game today. Luckily, my husband was there to talk with her and she seemed ok with it. They are heading into the finals now and I believe they should do well, since this was the only team they lost to.
I came home and took a nap. My eyes are still achy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home