Friday, January 06, 2006

Getting back to work

The holidays are over and it's time to focus on the next goals I've set. I've been thinking about what sort of goals I want to accomplish this year. I've been thinking about a "master plan".
I think I have a good plan to decide on. This year, I want to try entering national quilt shows.
Every year, I hear about people getting in, or not, and thinking, "I'll try that" but forget to check on the deadlines of the shows when the next show's information gets posted online. So, step one was really paying attention to when those show's deadlines really are.
Another confusing thing is how many categories or size limits, etc... There are. It varies from show to show. This one has to be at least 80", and they mean that as width times height. Others give a size meaning total inches, other still say it can only be this long, but as wide as you want, others say it has to be this size period. So, basically, you have to make a quilt FOR each contest specifically.
Some shows have categories. That can be a problem at times. Sometimes it's easy, of course. It's a pieced quilt, an applique' quilt, or what have you. But, in the case of one I've done recently, It's a pieced AND applique'd quilt.But wait, it's even better. It's painted and embellished. It's couched and beaded. It's printed too. Luckily, in this case, there's no categories!
So, the application was mailed today and now I am at the mercy of the jurors who say if I get in or not. My goal was to get into this show. Not to win, just to get in. Not that winning wouldn't be cool, but I think, getting into the show is a good step forward for me.
Thinking about everything at this point. I met the goal of wanting to enter a show. I met the goal of actually making a quilt and getting it done. I met the goal of doing the paperwork involved. I met the goal of sending it off in the mail.
That's about all I can do to make this happen, it's in someone else's hands now. I can only sit and wait to find out if these jurors like the work or not.
That's a whole other can of worms to open. If I don't get in, does that mean my work isn't good or that these people didn't like it? I've heard tales of one jury turning a quilt down and another picking it, not only in the show but a prize winning quilt. So, that's a bridge I'll have to cross when the time comes.
In the meantime, I look towards my next step towards my goal. The next opportunity to make a quilt to enter in a show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home