Thursday, February 02, 2006

collecting for the show

I didn't have to work today so I set about making some phone calls to my art guild friends to ask for help with my art gallery at the primary school. My first call was to Lin. At the end of that call, I'm still not sure if I can borrow her copy of homer or not. She's a bit hard to understand and she wasn't sure where it was and we weren't sure when we could meet. My second call was to Margaret who promptly promised both of her "copies" and an original. How very generous! We easily set up a time that was convenient for both of us. Then, she told me she was diagnosed with ALS. It was a bitter bit of news for us all here. She's determined to fight it but will adapt as needed. That's a great attitude and a generous one, since as long as she can still paint, she'll be teaching others to. I missed Iva. I guess it was one of her card game days. Helen loaned me some art before she left on her trip. Mimi was unable to help because she's leaving tomorrow for a long trip she's been looking forward to for a long time. She also has health issues as well as losing loved ones recently.She just got the final ok to go yesterday, so today was all about packing and such. I totally understand it is NOT the time to try digging stuff out of storage.
Speaking of that, I know I have some old cameras packed away here somewhere, but I can't find them for the life of me. I have one last place to look and I am NOT looking forward to digging around there. I have told the kids too many times to just toss things there to think searching there will be any fun. I just can't help but think it would be good to add these items to the photography exhibit so they can see how cameras have changed over the years.
I've been trying to think of some of the biggies in photography to include. I have Brady from civil war era and Curtis who went west and documented the American Indians. I found a picture of Abraham Lincoln with a couple generals, I have an Ansel Adams. One from the WPA project.
I also have some tintypes and I could show an example of those who hand colored photos before color film was available. I think I'll finish up with taking their group picture with a digital camera.
Anyway, then the music teacher called me back and we discussed another idea of hers. She has had an outpouring of volunteers for this and she decided the afternoon volunteers could hang a portrait gallery in the front lobby. Bottom line, throughout my gallery walk, I will push portraits when I can and I will add a Ruben portrait to my gallery, so they have the option of adding a stand out lace collar to their own portraits. These they will complete in their class rooms during the break for lunch. We talked a bit about marblizing techniques and painting veins for marble with feathers.
I'm getting a bit nervous about the set up for this happening in one day with all the transformations to the room. I also need to start working on the ID cards for the art and the signage. I'll be fine when I get to setting up the art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home