Saturday, June 25, 2005

Quilts on dark subjects
On the QA list, someone raised the subject of doing quilts depicting dark subjects. It brought up the memory of the Child abuse quilts in 1998 ( I think) that made the rounds to many quilts shows as a special exhibit. I remember that the discussion was centered around just how nervous everyone was about having them at quilt shows. I seem to remember that in at least one location, it was set aside in a special space, clearly marked with the title of the show, so some poor unsuspecting soul didn't accidently wander in to see such strong statements about such a dark subject.
Wouldn't it be something if all the Art Museums around the world did the same thing? "This gallery contains strong, negative images" And then the brave viewers would get to see the likes of "Rape of the Sabine Women" and "La Gurnica". Then, it wouldn't be long before there would be warnings for all the galleries that held nudes as well. Then, if you were seen taking your children into either gallery, it would be frowned upon, if not outright prohibited.
Well, maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe quilts have been associated with home, hearth, comfort and grandmas having the ole' quilting bee, that it IS a lot to take. First, that a quilt could be art then. secondly, that it doesn't have to be all sweetness and light all the time.
For me, Art has the responcibility to point out the human condition and being human isn't always pleasant. Just because I choose to use fabric to make my art, doesn't mean I cannot make a powerful statement about the human condition if I wish.
I think any place a large group of people gather, should be able to host a thought provoking exhibit and they all should be intelligent enough to know every thing I've said here.
We know these aren't quilts that people would want to sleep under. We know these aren't quilts they would (always) want to have on their Living room wall. I don't know anyone who would want a rape scene on their walls either, but someone painted it.
So, from that exhibit, my favorite was the one that showed the small girl cowering in the corner beween the legs of the Man (father) who was holding a belt. It was a very powerful and uncomplicated image.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home