Sunday, June 22, 2008


Kansas City-

Not a town I know a lot about and I decided it was time to do something about that. I had a few ideas about what to see, and a few loose plans. I headed to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. It's a good solid art museum that briefly touches on everything important without being outstanding in any given area. Someone has a good collecting sensibility there and I'd suggest it as a good way to spend a few hours and see solid art from most major movements. I didn't get a sense of surprise there, however. Parts of it were under construction and they were very busy setting up for a party to be held there on saturday, so it was a bit difficult moving around the building itself (but the smell of fresh flowers was lovely) And I was reminded of how wonderful it is to be at an art museum that has art students frequent it on a regular basis. The guards are always much more relaxed about those of us who like to study the art closely. One of my favorites was Thomas Hart Benton's painting.
I've been working on a painting which is my way of working out some possibilities for my quilt work. I've been struggling with a concept and it was with great pleasure that I saw how one artist solved this problem. So, if not a surprise, at least a sort of validation and that was well worth the hours spent there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home