Saturday, May 17, 2008

Baby Shower
Thursday, the 5th grade combined classes of Fisher and Johnson gave mrs. Fisher a baby shower. The group gift made from contributions from both classes was a quilt. Each student drew a picture (animal theme) using Crayola fabric crayons onto a 8" sq. piece of paper. This creates an iron-on transfer. I took them home and ironed them to cotton fabric. (the transfers work better with some polyester to the fabric , and great for t-shirts) I used my stash to do simple sashing and borders. I called up the local longarm quilter and begged to have it quilted quickly. He has a soft spot for babies, so he slipped it into his work log and got it back to me in time for me to bind it.
You can see from their faces, they were very excited to see how it turned out. This was the first time any of the kids got the chance to see it either. Later, it was passed around so they could find their drawing.
Substituting for the classes gave me the opportunity to have them work on this and organize the party in secret (with Mrs. Johnson's and the Principal's knoweldge) and I think they created a fabulous party working together with teamwork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home