Thursday, April 03, 2008

Accepted to Denver-
How does one decide they are ready to enter shows? At one point, you have to just decide to enter and see what happens. There are so many shows, some small and regional, some very large national ones. There are all sorts of special exhibits you can enter and invitationals where the coordinator selects participants.
I tried some smaller challenges, and then smaller national shows. I entered a few special exhibits. I participated in a couple invitationals. Finally, I decided I might be ready to see how I'd do entering a national show.
At first, I was horrible at keeping track of when the deadlines were. There were a few years that I discovered the timeline of the show when everyone talked about getting accepted. I finally decided to set modest goals in January and hold myself to them. Along the way I had to understand that what everyone called a show wasn't always the true name of them. I decided to start with the IQA show in Chicago. I got in. The next year, I decided to try for Chicago and add Houston. I got in Chicago again, but didn't get in Houston. I asked for other quilters to critique the quilt and I learned from their comments. The next year, I entered Chicago and Houston again. This time, I got in both and got HM in my catagory at Houston.
This year, I set more goals in January. Chicago, Houston two smaller national shows and adding a mancusco show for the first time. So far, I got in Chicago, missed the one small national show deadline (drats!) and just got the news I got in the Mancusco show in Denver.
I have a few more shows on my wish list and I always love when the unexpected happens and my quilts end up wonderful places. I see myself growing as an artist. I am becoming more sure about my voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home