Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Austin- day one and two- Allen's boots- they were very elaborate boots here- costing about $400.00 a pair and the tall snakeskin ones were $1,500. A bit out of our price range, even IF we were boot people. Downtown Austin and the bridge where the bats hang out. We saw a nearby hotel advertize they had a "batio". I would suppose it was for prime viewing of the evening flight of the bats.

We saw this place on Food network- A candy store in SoCO that would make any number of sodas the old fashioned way. I had an Orange/ peach soda and delaney was thrilled with the gummy selection.


I love the name of the store as much as the store itself. Very nice displays of a myriad of old stuff.





Ok, so the wedding wasn't until evening, so we spent the day in a cave called Inner Space. I know! Why would we go all that way to see a cave when we live in the CAVE STATE!!??

Steve wanted to and I love caves and plan on doing more cave quilts soon. Caves all have something unique about them. I wish i was able to take better pictures in the cave. My camera wasn't very happy there and then the battery died.

Ok, so the cool stuff here was that there was a mixture of rocks, so not everything was capable of growing formations. It had a fault line and a colapse. It had bats (small ones) and we were able to use flashlights and explore an area by ourselves. Those few mins. were enough to let Steve and I know we are past our prime for crawling around in small places.

The down side to the cave was that for as recent as it was discovered (1960's) it was pretty damaged. I saw several broken formations. I absolutely HATE when they try to make up stupid stories to explain formations (princess castle, socks, etc..) especially when they try to make up a lame story to tie all of them together. Of course, some formations do look just like bacon, or pipe organs, but leave the elaborate stories behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home