Monday, August 28, 2006

Thanks for the comments

I want to thank everyone who commented on my last post and offered their suggestions, both here and in private emails. Most everyone had the same issues, so know where I need to improve.

I want to take a moment here to talk about a critique'. People often talk about how horrible it would be to get critiqued in a bad way. I think it makes people nervous to even talk about other's works. Will they totally trash my work? Will they say "don't quit your day job?" Will they attack my personality, my vision, my mental abilities? ( are you crazy?) In the end, will I just wish I could throw it away and slink into the corner?
No, a good critique' is exactly what I received here from everyone. While people pointed out the trouble spots, everyone did have something good to say about something in it. In my experience, I received a great critique from my peers.
Every quilter works differently. I tend to have a general idea when I begin, where I want to go, but along the way, I do make decisions. Some of them I'm nervous about when I choose them.
Sometimes, I guess I can make the wrong choice. For example, I was afraid the bright leaves, which have Angelina fibers on them, were going to be too bright so I added the border with that light green strip in it to make it seem like they weren't the only bright thing in the quilt.
In reality, caves here are like black holes. The layered rocks make like shelves and light doesn't travel inside all the time. But, I didn't make the left edge varied enough, it's just too straight, and you don't get that feeling of layers on that side.
The irregular edges of the picture part of the quilt... That was one I worried about. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have chosen to do that. Especially with the straight green strips in the border.
I really didn't think about putting any "signs of life" in the quilt. I wanted it to be like a secret place I found on a hike. In reality, there are thousands more caves here than those that are inhabited by anything other than bugs and bats, although recently there was one found near Springfield, Mo. That had been inhabited long ago. Most of them are rather shallow for living purposes.
All of these are my reasons for doing what I did. Maybe I was wrong, but I did have a reason. LOL!
Oh, sizes. I tend to like working in the 36" range. Some larger, some smaller, but around that size feels good to me.
I know there's been a lot of talk about journal quilts, postcards and ATC's. All of those feel too small. I get terribly frustrated when I work in those sizes. I feel like it's not complex enough, or I feel I put too much in it and it's too busy. I can't seem to get comfortable in those sizes.
Large sizes are also a problem for me. I can't see it all at once and I can't get a good feeling for what I'm doing if I can't see it all at once. Now, why can't I see it? That has more to do with my work space than anything else. Some of you artists out there might have a fabulous studio dedicated to your art. Uh, mine is in my bedroom and I share it with my DH (of course) as well as our bed, dresser, etc... I think I have made great use of my small space, but it's a small space. Sigh! I like to think I do great things in my small space with the time I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home